Saluzzo
Saluzzo
Diocese in the Province of Cuneo, Piedmont, Upper Italy

Catholic Encyclopedia. . 2006.

Saluzzo
    Saluzzo
     Catholic_Encyclopedia Saluzzo
    (SALUCLIAE, SALUTIENSIS)
    Diocese in the Province of Cuneo, Piedmont, Upper Italy. The city of Saluzzo is built on a hill overlooking a vast, well-cultivated plain. Iron, lead, silver, marble, slate, etc. are found in the surrounding mountains. The cathedral (1480- 1511), half-Gothic, contains a magnificent high altar, and is rich in sculptures. The church of St. Bernard, formerly belonging to the Conventuals, has interesting tombs of the counts della Torre; the church of St. Dominic contains several artistic tombs, especially that of the Marquess Lodovico II and his spouse (1504), and the chapel of the Holy Sepulchre. St. Augustine's and St. Bernardino's are also worthy of note. The present town hall is the former Jesuit College, while the older one (1462), with a bold tower, is utilized by the Court of Assizes. It was the birthplace of Silvio Pellico, typographer Bodoni, Abate Denina, and Malcarne the anatomist. Saluzzo was a town of the Vagienni, or mountain Liguri, and later of the Salluvii. This district was brought under Roman control by the Consul M. Fulvius. In the Carlovingian era it became the residence of a count; later, having passed to the marquesses of Susa, Manfredo, son of Marquess Bonifacio del Vasto, on the division of that principality became Marquess of Saluzzo; this family held the marquisate from 1142 till 1548. The marquisate embraced the territory lying between the Alps, the Po, and the Stura, and was extended on several occasions. In the Middle Ages it had a chequered existence, often being in conflict with powerful neighbours, chiefly the Counts of Savoy.
    Tommaso III, a vassal of France, wrote the romance "Le chevalier errant". Ludovico (1416-75) was a wise and virtuous prince. Ludovico II constructed a tunnel, no longer in use, through the Monviso, a remarkable work for the time. With the help of the French he resisted a vigorous siege by the Duke of Savoy in 1486, but in 1487 yielded and retired to France where he wrote "L'art de la chevalerie sous Vegèce" (1488), a treatise on good government, and other works on military affairs. He was a patron of clerics and authors. In 1490 he regained power. After long struggles for independence, this small state was occupied (1548) by the French, as a fief of the Crown. In 1588 Carlo Emmanuele I of Savoy took possession of it. Thenceforward the city shared the destinies of Piedmont with which it formed "one of the keys of the house" of Italy. Saluzzo was formerly part of the Diocese of Turin. Julius II in 1511 made it a diocese immediately dependent on the Holy See. The first bishop was Gianantonio della Rovere, who after eight months resigned in favour of his brother Sisto, later a Cardinal. Other bishops were: Filippo Archinti (1546), a celebrated jurisconsult; the Benedictine Antonio Picoth (1583) a learned and pious man, founder of the seminary; he was succeeded by St. Giovenale Ancina (1597-1604) of the Oratory of St. Philip, the apostle of Corsica; Francesceo Agostino della Chiesa (1642); Carlo Gius. Morozzo (1698), who had built the high altar of the cathedral. The diocese, since 1805, has been suffragan of Turin; it contains 91 parishes with 170,000 inhabitants; 300 secular and 30 regular priests; 31 religious houses; 4 institutes for boys and 3 for girls; and has a Catholic newspaper.
    CAPPELLETTI, Le Chiese d'Italia, XIV; CARUTTI, Il Marchesata di Saluzzo; GABOTTO, I, marchesi di Saluzzo (Saluzzo, 1901).
    U. BENIGNI
    Transcribed by Stan Walker For Eric M. Walker — January 1999

The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. . 1910.


Catholic encyclopedia.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Saluzzo —   Comune   Città di Saluzzo …   Wikipedia

  • Saluzzo — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Saluzzo Archivo:Saluzzo Stemma.png Escudo …   Wikipedia Español

  • Saluzzo — Vorlage:Infobox Gemeinde in Italien/Wartung/Wappen fehlt …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • SALUZZO — SALUZZO, town in Piedmont, N.W. Italy. From 1142 to 1548 Saluzzo was the capital of the marquisate of the same name, long a bone of contention between France and the house of Savoy. Jews are first mentioned there in the 15th century; they ran 16… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Saluzzo — Saluzzo, Stadt in der ital. Prov. Cuneo (Piemont), unweit des Po, (1901) 16.394 E., altes Kastell der im 16. Jahrh. ausgestorbenen Markgrafen von S. (jetzt Strafanstalt), Kathedrale (15. Jahrh.) …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Saluzzo — Saluzzo, Hauptstadt der gleichnamigen Provinz in der sardin. Division Coni, ist Bischofssitz, hat eine sehr schöne Kathedrale, Castell, beträchtliche Industrie, 15000 E. S., das röm. Augusta Vagiennorum, im Mittelalter Salutiae, hatte vom 11. bis …   Herders Conversations-Lexikon

  • Saluzzo — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Saluces (homonymie). Saluzzo Administration Nom piémontais Salusse Pays …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Saluzzo — ▪ Italy       town and episcopal see, Piemonte ( Piedmont) region, northwestern Italy, at the foot of the Alps, southwest of Turin. The seat of the marquesses of Saluzzo from 1142 to 1548, it then passed to France until it was ceded to Savoy in… …   Universalium

  • Saluzzo — Salụzzo,   Stadt in der Provinz Cuneo, Piemont, Nordwestitalien, 15 700 Einwohner; Bischofssitz; Möbel und Antiquitätenmesse; Textil , Eisenwarenindustrie.   Stadtbild:   Der Dom Santa Maria Assunta, ursprünglich Pfarrkirche der Talsiedlung,… …   Universal-Lexikon

  • Saluzzo — Original name in latin Saluzzo Name in other language State code IT Continent/City Europe/Rome longitude 44.64644 latitude 7.48623 altitude 346 Population 15647 Date 2012 02 15 …   Cities with a population over 1000 database

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”