- Hippo Regius
- Hippo Regius• Titular see of Numidia
Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006.
- Hippo RegiusHippo Regius† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► Hippo RegiusA titular see of Numidia, now a part of the residential see of Constantine (q.v.). Hippo was a Tyrian colony on the west coast of the bay to which it gave its name (Hipponensis Sinus); the surname Regius was bestowed on it as one of the places where the Numidian kings resided. Later it became a Roman colonia and prospered until A.D. 430, when it was taken by the Vandals. The Arabs rebuilt the town in the seventh century. It contains some ancient ruins, a hospital built by the Little Sisters of the Poor, and a fine basilica dedicated to St. Augustine. About two miles distant the Arabs in the eleventh century established the town of Beleb-el-Anab, which the Spaniards occupied for some years in the sixteenth century, as the French did later, in the reign of Louis XIV. France took this town again in 1832. It is now called Bone or Bona, and is one of the government centres for the department of Constantine in Algeria. It has 37,000 inhabitants, of whom 15,700 are French, 10,500 foreigners, mostly Italians, 9,400 Mussulmans ( see Mohammed and Mohammedanism ), and 1400 naturalized Jews. The situation of the town is very pleasing, the climate agreeable in winter, but humid in summer. Its trade is good, and the harbour serves as an export station for all the rich inland country. We know seven bishops of Hippo, among them Sts. Theogenes and Fidentius, martyrs, St. Leontius Valerius, who ordained St. Augustine, and the great "Doctor of Grace", Augustine himself (395-28 August, 430). Under St. Augustine there were at least three monasteries in the diocese besides the episcopal monastery. Three councils were held at Hippo (393, 395, 426).S. PÉTRIDÈSTranscribed by Judy Levandoski
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hippo Regius — (griego: Hippon Basilikos) o Hipona, fue una antigua ciudad de Numidia a la orilla del río Ubus (griego: Ubos). Fue una colonia de Tiro, residencia de los reyes de Numidia. Allí vivió san Agustín de Hipona que murió en la ciudad el 28 de agosto… … Wikipedia Español
Hippo Regĭus — Hippo Regĭus, s. Hippo … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Hippo Regius — [hip′ō rē′jē əs] ancient city in N Africa, near modern Annaba, Algeria: capital of ancient Numidia &, later, a Roman colony … English World dictionary
Hippo Regius — Coordinates: 36°54′N 7°46′E / 36.9°N 7.767°E / 36.9; 7.767 Hippo Regius (Hippone) is the ancient name of the modern city of … Wikipedia
Hippo Regius — 36.8394444444447.7352777777778 Koordinaten: 36° 50′ 22″ N, 7° 44′ 7″ O … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hippo Regius — Hippone Hippone, en latin Hippo Regius, est le nom antique de la ville d Annaba, se trouvant au Nord Est de l Algérie. Elle devint l une des principales cités de l Afrique romaine. Sommaire 1 Histoire 2 Histoire ecclésiastique 3 Articles connexes … Wikipédia en Français
Hippo Regius — Hịppo Regius, antike Stadt in Nordostalgerien, bei Annaba … Universal-Lexikon
Hippo Regius — geographical name see Hippo … New Collegiate Dictionary
Hippo Regius — /hip oh ree jee euhs/ a seaport of ancient Numidia: St. Augustine was bishop here A.D. 395 430; the site of modern Annaba, in Algeria. Also called Hippo. * * * … Universalium
Hippo Regius — Hip•po Re•gi•us [[t]ˈhɪp oʊ ˈri dʒi əs[/t]] n. anh geg a seaport of ancient Numidia: St. Augustine was bishop here a.d. 395–430; the site of modern Annaba, in Algeria Also called Hippo … From formal English to slang