The Court of Arches


The Court of Arches
The Court of Arches
    The Court of Arches
     Catholic_Encyclopedia The Court of Arches
    The Court of Arches, so called from the fact that it was anciently held in the Church of St. Mary le Bow (Sancta Maria de Arcubus), in Cheapside, was the chief and most ancient court and consistory of the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury. Originally the judge of this court, the official Principal of the Arches, took cognizance of causes throughout the ecclesiastical province, and by his patent was invested with the right of hearing appeals from the Dean of the Arches. This latter exercised jurisdiction over a "peculiar," consisting of thirteen parishes including St. Mary le Bow, within the diocese, but exempt from the jurisdiction of the Bishop of London. Eventually the office of Dean and that of Principal of the Arches became merged; and by the Public Worship Regulation Act of 1874 a judge of the provincial courts of Canterbury and York was provided, and "all proceedings hereafter taken before the judge in matters arising within the province of Canterbury shall be deemed to be taken in the Arches Court of Canterbury." [From the Court of Arches an appeal originally lay to the Pope. After the Reformation it was transferred to the King in Chancery (25 Hen. VIII, c. 19); and later (2 & 3 Will. IV, c. 92; 3 & 4 Will. IV, c. 41) to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.] Suits are conducted by means of citation, production of libel (accusation), answer to libel, arguments of advocates, and the judge's decree. This court exercises appellate jurisdiction from each of the diocesan courts within the province of Canterbury. It may also take original cognizance of causes by letters of Request from such courts. It latterly sat in the hall belonging to the College of Civilians (Doctors' Commons) until the ecclesiastical courts were thrown open to the bar and to solicitors generally, and all probate and divorce business taken away (1857), since when it sits at Lambeth or Westminster.
    PHILLIMORE, Ecclesiastical Law of the Church of England; RENTON, Encyclopedia of the Laws of England; Report of Ecclesiastical Courts Commissioners, 1883.
    FRANCIS AVELING
    Transcribed by John Fobian In memory of Rev. Thomas Casey

The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. . 1910.


Catholic encyclopedia.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Court of Arches — Court Court (k[=o]rt), n. [OF. court, curt, cort, F. cour, LL. cortis, fr. L. cohors, cors, chors, gen. cohortis, cortis, chortis, an inclosure, court, thing inclosed, crowd, throng; co + a root akin to Gr. chorto s inclosure, feeding place, and… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Court of arches — Arches Arch es, pl. of {Arch}, n. [1913 Webster] {Court of arches}, or {Arches Court} (Eng. Law), the court of appeal of the Archbishop of Canterbury, whereof the judge, who sits as deputy to the archbishop, is called the Dean of the Arches,… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • The court of the Lord — Court Court (k[=o]rt), n. [OF. court, curt, cort, F. cour, LL. cortis, fr. L. cohors, cors, chors, gen. cohortis, cortis, chortis, an inclosure, court, thing inclosed, crowd, throng; co + a root akin to Gr. chorto s inclosure, feeding place, and… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Court of Arches — (also known as the Arches) the ecclesiastical court of appeal for the province of Canterbury, formerly held at the church of St Mary le Bow (so called from the arches that support its steeple) • • • Main Entry: ↑arch …   Useful english dictionary

  • Arches, The Court of — • Was held in the Church of St. Mary le Bow (Sancta Maria de Arcubus), in Cheapside, the chief and most ancient court and consistory of the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006 …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Court of Arches —    The highest Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury, at one time held in the Church of St. Mary le Bow.    See Doctors Commons …   Dictionary of London

  • Arches Court — The Arches Court permanent home is St Mary le Bow …   Wikipedia

  • The Oxford Movement (1833-1845) —     The Oxford Movement (1833 1845)     † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Oxford Movement (1833 1845)     The Oxford Movement may be looked upon in two distinct lights. The conception which lay at its base, according to the Royal Commission on… …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Arches court — (engl., spr. artsch s kohrt, The Court of Arches), das älteste u. vornehmste, unter dem Bischof von Canterbury stehende geistliche Consistorium in England, von dem nur noch Appellation an den Court of Chancery Statt findet …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Arches Court — /archaz kort/ In English ecclesiastical law, a court of appeal belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury, the judge of which is called the Dean of the Arches , because his court was anciently held in the church of Saint Mary le Bow (Sancta Maria… …   Black's law dictionary


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.