- Congregation of St. Edmund
- Congregation of St. EdmundCongregation of St. Edmund† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► Congregation of St. EdmundFounded in 1843, by Jean-Baptiste Muard, at Pontigny, France, for the work of popular missions. The members also devote themselves to parochial work, to the education of youth in seminaries and colleges, to the direction of pious associations, and to foreign missions. The motherhouse is at Pontigny, but since the expulsion of the religious orders the superior general resides at Hitchin, England. In the United States, the congregation has two houses: a missionary house and apostolic school at Swanton, Vermont, for the training of young men who wish to study for the priesthood and the religious life; and a college at Winooski, Vermont, with 12 fathers, 8 scholastics, and 100 pupils.E.M. SALMONTranscribed by Bryan R. Johnson
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.