Tiberias


Tiberias
Tiberias
Titular see, suffragan of Scythopolis, in Palaestina Secunda

Catholic Encyclopedia. . 2006.

Tiberias
    Tiberias
     Catholic_Encyclopedia Tiberias
    Titular see, suffragan of Scythopolis, in Palaestina Secunda. The town of Tiberias was founded on the lake in A.D. 17 by Herod Antipas, tetrarch of Galilee, who gave it the name of the reigning emperor, Tiberius. As tombs were discovered there at the time of its foundation the Jews refused to dwell there, and Herod was forced to populate it with foreigners and people of low extraction (Josephus, "Ant. jud.," XVIII, ii, 3). What it was previously called is not known; St. Jerome makes it the site now of Reccath, now of Emath, now of Cenereth or Kinnereth, towns of Nephthali (Jos., XIX, 35). The town seems to have been a little more than three miles in circumference. Although Tiberias gave its name to the neighbouring lake and is mentioned several times in the Gospels, it seems never to have been dwelt in by Christ. At the death of Herod Antipas in 41, Nero gave the town to Herod Agrippa the Younger who made Sephoris or Diocaesarea his capital. At the revolt of the Jews against the Romans the people of Tiberias sided now with one party, now with the other, and the Jewish historian Josephus, who was Governor of Galilee, only took it after several attempts ("Bell. jud.," II, xxi, 6; "Vita Josephi," 18 and 54). At the approach of Vespasian it submitted without resistance and was not disturbed; the Jews secured the privilege of dwelling there alone, to the exclusion of pagans, Christians, and Samaritans. Towards the end of the second century the Sanhedrin was removed thither from Sephoris together with the Talmudic school of Jamnia, whence issued many celebrated rabbis, among them Juda Hakkodesh, who shortly afterwards codified the vast body of laws and customs known as the Mishna. Between 230 and 270 Rabbi Jochanan composed the Gemara, supplement of the Mishna, and these two codes are called the Jerusalem Talmud. In the sixth century the school of Tiberias produced the celebrated Masorah, or fixed Hebrew text of the Bible. Rabbi Bar Anina of Tiberias gave lessons in Hebrew to St. Jerome.
    The introduction of Christianity dates from the time of Constantine the Great. It was Count Joseph, a Jewish convert of this town living at Scythopolis, who built its first church, perhaps on the site of the Hadrianeum (a temple founded by the Emperor Hadrian and never completed). Under Constantine also the Jewish patriarch Hillel was converted and baptized by the missionary bishop who bore the title of Tiberias but resided elsewhere (P.G., XLI, 409-29). Among its bishops were: John, present at the Robber Synod of Ephesus and the Council of Chalcedon in 449 and 451; John II, at the councils of 518 and 536; George, in 553; Basil, in the eighth century (Le Quien, "Oriens christ.," III, 705-10); Theodore, in 808 (Tobler, "Itinerar. hierosolym.," I, 304). Justinian restored the walls of the town (Procopius, "De aedificiis," V, 9). Ancient pilgrims speak of its churches and synagogues. At the Frankish occupation it was given in fief to Tancred who made it his capital. A new town was built, churches restored, and a Latin diocese was instituted, suffragan to Nazareth. Many of its residential or titular bishops are known (Du Cange, "Familles d'outre-mer," 807; Le Quien, op.cit., III, 1301-04; Eubel, "Hierarchia catholica medii aevi," I, 511; II, 275; III, 333). The Greek see never ceased to exist, but has long been titular. In 1187 after the defeat of Hattin, better known as the battle of Tiberias, the town and fortress fell into the power of Saladin. In 1239 it was given to Eudes de Montbeliard, but five years later the Sultan of Egypt recovered it and massacred the garrison and the Christian inhabitants. The last Jew died in 1620 at the passing of Quaresimus, and only Mussulmans ( see Mohammed and Mohammedanism ) remained. The Jews have since returned. Out of 6500 inhabitants, 4500 are Jews, 1600 Mussulmans ( see Mohammed and Mohammedanism ), 185 Greek Catholics, 35 Latins, 42 Greek Schismatics, and about 20 Protestants (Protestantism) dependent on the Scotch mission which has a school and a hospital. The Franciscans have a church and an infirmary. The town, called Tabarieh, besides ramparts has only insignificant ruins and is very dirty.
    SMITH, Dict. of Gr. and Rom. Geog., s.v.; NEUBAUER, La geographie du Talmud (Paris, 1868), 207-14; GUERIN, Description de la Palestine: Galilee, I, (Paris, 1869-80), 250-63; THOMSEN, Loca sancta (Halle, 1907), III.
    S. VAILHÉ
    Transcribed by John Fobian In memory of Francis "Bobby" Gimler

The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. . 1910.


Catholic encyclopedia.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • TIBERIAS — (Heb. טְבֶרְיָה), city on the western shore of Lake Kinneret (the Sea of Galilee), and the largest settlement in the Jordan Valley. The name usually appears in the Jerusalem Talmud as Tivveryah, and in the Babylonian Talmud as Teverya. The city… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Tiberias — Tiberias …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Tiberias — Tiberias,   Stadt in Israel, 212 m unter dem Meeresspiegel 245 m über dem Meeresspiegel, am Westufer des Sees Genezareth (See von Tiberias), 37 600 Einwohner; Zentrum des am stärksten landwirtschaftlich genutzten Gebietes von Israel, das Bananen …   Universal-Lexikon

  • TIBERIAS — vulgo Tabarie nunc, teste Nigrô, urbs insignis Palaestinae cum lacu cognomine in Galilaea a Nazareth supra 10. mill. pasl. in Ortum inter Scythopolin ad Meridiem et Capharnaum ad Boream. Erat in tribu Zabulon, in agro opimo, et ora Occidentali… …   Hofmann J. Lexicon universale

  • Tiberĭas — Tiberĭas, Stadt in Galiläa, am westlichen Ufer des Sees Genesareth (See von T.), Herodes Antipas erbaute sie dem Kaiser Tiberius zu Ehren u. versah sie mit Rennbahn u. Amphitheater, konnte ahernur mit Mühe, u. zwar blos Heiden u. Gesindel als… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Tiberĭas — Tiberĭas, Stadt in Palästina (Galiläa), am Westufer des Sees Genezareth, der daher auch See von T. heißt, gewöhnliche Residenz des Herodes Antipas, der ihr dem Kaiser Tiberius zu Ehren den Namen gab, war im römisch griechischen Geschmack erbaul,… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Tiberias — Tiberĭas (arab. Tabarije), Stadt in Galiläa [Tafel: Bilder zur Biblischen Geschichte, 4], Wilajet Beirut, westl. am See Genezareth (See von T.), 7400 E.; um 25 n. Chr. von Herodes Antipas gegründet; hier 6. Juli 1187 Sieg Saladins über die… …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Tiberias — Tiberias, s. Tabarieh …   Herders Conversations-Lexikon

  • Tiberias — [tī bir′ē əs] Sea of GALILEE Sea of …   English World dictionary

  • Tiberias — Infobox Israel municipality name=Tiberias imgsize=110px caption= imgsize3=250 caption3=Aerial photo of Tiberias hebname=Hebrew|טְבֶרְיָה arname=طبرية meaning=Spring Hill founded=18 AD type=city typefrom=1948 stdHeb= altOffSp= altUnoSp=… …   Wikipedia