Smyrna
Smyrna
The capital of the vilayet of Aïdin and the starting-point of several railways

Catholic Encyclopedia. . 2006.

Smyrna
    Smyrna
     Catholic_Encyclopedia Smyrna
    LATIN ARCHDIOCESE OF SMYRNA (SMYRNENSIS), in Asia Minor.
    The city of Smyrna rises like an amphitheatre on the gulf which bears its name. It is the capital of the vilayet of Aïdin and the starting-point of several railways; it has a population of at least 300,000, of whom 150,000 are Greeks. There are also numerous Jews and Armenians and almost 10,000 European Catholics. It was founded more than 1000 years B.C. by colonists from Lesbos who had expelled the Leleges, at a place now called Bournabat, about an hour's distance from the present Smyrna. Shortly before 688 B.C. it was captured by the Ionians, under whose rule it became a very rich and powerful city (Herodotus, I, 150). About 580 B.C. it was destroyed by Alyattes, King of Lydia. Nearly 300 years afterwards Antigonus (323-301 B.C.), and then Lysimachus, undertook to rebuild it on its present site. Subsequently comprised in the Kingdom of Pergamus, it was ceded in 133 B.C. to the Romans. These built there a judiciary conventus and a mint. Smyrna had a celebrated school of rhetoric, was one of the cities which had the title of metropolis, and in which the concilium festivum of Asia was celebrated. Demolished by an earthquake in A.D. 178 and 180, it was rebuilt by Marcus Aurelius. In 673 it was captured by a fleet of Arab Mussulmans ( see Mohammed and Mohammedanism ). Under the inspiration of Clement VI the Latins captured it from the Mussulmans ( see Mohammed and Mohammedanism ) in 1344 and held it until 1402, when Tamerlane destroyed it after slaying the inhabitants. In 1424 the Turks captured it and, save for a brief occupation by the Venetians in 1472, it has since belonged to them.
    Christianity was preached to the inhabitants at an early date. As early as the year 93, there existed a Christian community directed by a bishop for whom St. John in the Apocalypse (i, II; ii, 8-11) has only words of praise. There are extant two letters written early in the second century from Troas by St. Ignatius of Antioch to those of Smyrna and to Polycarp, their bishop. Through these letters and those of the Christians of Smyrna to the city of Philomelium, we know of two ladies of high rank who belonged to the Church of Smyrna. There were other Christians in the vicinity of the city and dependent on it to whom St. Polycarp wrote letters (Eusebius, "Hist. Eccl.", V, xxiv). When Polycarp was martyred (23 February), the Church of Smyrna sent an encyclical concerning his death to the Church of Philomelium and others. The "Vita Polycarpi" attributed to St. Pionius, a priest of Smyrna martyred in 250, contains a list of the first bishops: Strataes; Bucolus; Polycarp; Papirius; Camerius; Eudaemon (250), who apostatized during the persecution of Decius; Thraseas of Eumenia, martyr, who was buried at Smyrna. Noctos, a Modalist heretic of the second century, was a native of the city as were also Sts. Pothinus and Irenaeus of Lyons. Mention should also be made of another martyr, St. Dioscorides, venerated on 21 May. Among the Greek bishops, a list of whom appears in Le Quien, (Oriens Christ., I, 737-46), was Metrophanes, the great opponent of Photius, who laboured in the revision of the "Octoekos", a Greek liturgical book.
    The Latin See of Smyrna was created by Clement VI in 1346 and had an uninterrupted succession of titulars until the seventeenth century. This was the beginning of the Vicariate Apostolic of Asia Minor, or of Smyrna, of vast extent. In 1818 Pius VII established the Archdiocese of Smyrna, at the same time retaining the vicariate Apostolic, the jurisdiction of which was wider. Its limits were those of the vicariates Apostolic of Mesopotamia, Syria, and Constantinople. The archdiocese had 17,000 Latin Catholics, some Greek Melchites, called Alepi, and Armenians under special organization. There are: 19 secular priests; 55 regulars; 8 parishes, of which 4 are in Smyrna; 14 churches with resident priests and 12 without priests; 25 primary schools with 2500 pupils, 8 colleges or academies with 800 pupils; 2 hospitals; and 4 orphanages. The religious men in the archdiocese or the vicariate Apostolic are Franciscans, Capuchins, Lazarists, Dominicans, Salesians of Don Bosco, Assumptionists (at Koniah), Brothers of the Christian Schools, and Marist Brothers (at Metellin). Religious communities of women are the Carmelites, Sisters of Charity (13 houses with more than 100 sisters), Sisters of Sion, Dominicans of Ivrée, Sisters of St. Joseph, and Oblates of the Assumption.
    S. VAILHÉ
    Transcribed by Lucia Tobin

The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. . 1910.


Catholic encyclopedia.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Smyrna — Smyrna, DE U.S. town in Delaware Population (2000): 5679 Housing Units (2000): 2242 Land area (2000): 3.683124 sq. miles (9.539246 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.075120 sq. miles (0.194559 sq. km) Total area (2000): 3.758244 sq. miles (9.733805 sq …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Smyrna — ist der Name mehrerer Orte: Smyrna (heutiger türkischer Name: Izmir), eine früher griechische Stadt in Kleinasien; nach ihr wurden zahlreiche Ortschaften benannt Smyrna (Delaware) (USA) Smyrna (Georgia) Smyrna (Maine) Smyrna (North Carolina)… …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Smyrna [1] — Smyrna (türk. Ismir), Hauptstadt des asiatisch türk. Wilajets Aidin (s. d.), wichtigster Handelsplatz Kleinasiens, liegt im Hintergrunde des 70 km weit eindringenden gleichnamigen Meerbusens (s. das Nebenkärtchen auf der Karte »Kleinasien«),… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Smyrna, DE — U.S. town in Delaware Population (2000): 5679 Housing Units (2000): 2242 Land area (2000): 3.683124 sq. miles (9.539246 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.075120 sq. miles (0.194559 sq. km) Total area (2000): 3.758244 sq. miles (9.733805 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Smyrna, GA — U.S. city in Georgia Population (2000): 40999 Housing Units (2000): 19633 Land area (2000): 13.898565 sq. miles (35.997117 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.021972 sq. miles (0.056907 sq. km) Total area (2000): 13.920537 sq. miles (36.054024 sq. km)… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Smyrna, NY — U.S. village in New York Population (2000): 241 Housing Units (2000): 92 Land area (2000): 0.245502 sq. miles (0.635847 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.245502 sq. miles (0.635847 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Smyrna, SC — U.S. town in South Carolina Population (2000): 59 Housing Units (2000): 26 Land area (2000): 0.706006 sq. miles (1.828546 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.706006 sq. miles (1.828546 sq. km) FIPS …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Smyrna, TN — U.S. town in Tennessee Population (2000): 25569 Housing Units (2000): 10016 Land area (2000): 22.834463 sq. miles (59.140985 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.135305 sq. miles (0.350438 sq. km) Total area (2000): 22.969768 sq. miles (59.491423 sq. km) …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Smyrna [1] — Smyrna, 1) (Myrrha), Tochter des Kinyras, von ihrem Vater Mutter des Adonis; 2) s.u. Smyrna (Geogr. 2) …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Smyrna [2] — Smyrna, 1) (a. Georgr.), Stadt in Lydien, eine der berühmtesten u. blühendsten Städte Kleinasiens, lag an der südwestlichen Küste des Smyrnaischen Meerbusens, dem Flüßchen Meles u. am Fuße u. auf dem Berge Mastusia, regelmäßig u. schön gebaut,… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”