- Armidale• A diocese situated in New South Wales
Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006.
- ArmidaleArmidale† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► ArmidaleA diocese situated in New South Wales (Australia), with its cathedral at Armidale, 335 miles north of Sydney. It is one of the six suffragan sees of the province of Sydney. Its boundary on the north is the Queensland border, on the east, the Diocese of Lismore, on the west the Diocese of Wilcannia, ten miles beyond Walgett, and on the south, the Dioceses of Maitland and Bathurst. Area of Armidale Diocese, about 85,000 square miles. Armidale was not proclaimed a municipality till 1863. Ten years before that date (in 1853) the Rev. Timothy McCarthy was appointed its first resident priest. It was then a sparsely populated agricultural and pastoral district, where Catholics were few and far apart. Father McCarthy made Armidale his head-quarters, and (says Cardinal Moran) "His missionary district embraced all the territory as far as the Queensland border, and extended to the Pacific Ocean. His periodical excursions lasted for three months. From the Tweed to the Richmond, thence to the Clarence and on to Walcha, then across the Liverpool Plains to the Gwydir, and back by way of Glen Innes and Tenterfield to Armidale. Such was the route which he traversed in the discharge of his ordinary duties." He was afterwards transferred to the Carcoar district at a time when it was "in a ferment from the violence and lawlessness of the bushrangers. He rendered a great service alike to the State and to those unhappy outlaws, many of whom he succeeded in withdrawing from their life of sin and crime." He died in Ireland in 1879. Till 1864 all New South Wales was under the spiritual charge of the Bishop of Sydney. In that and the following years were created the present Dioceses of Goulburn (1864), Bathurst (1865), and Maitland (1867). Armidale (says Cardinal Moran) "was also marked out for an episcopal see," but it was not till 1869 that its first Bishop, the Right Rev. Timothy O'Mahony, was appointed. Till 1887 the diocese had a vast and unwieldy area, and at the time that the new Bishop entered into possession it had no railroad running through it, "and even the ordinary roads were few." The first cathedral was a little wooden church 25 feet by 18, replaced by a brick and stone structure, opened in 1872, and measuring 102 feet by 32. Bishop O'Mahony's stay in Armidale was embittered by grave accusations that were fomented by a false clerical friend and given to the press and public by open enemies. He resigned his see in 1878 and was appointed auxiliary bishop to the Archbishop of Toronto, where he died in 1892. He was succeeded by the Right Rev. Elzear Torreggiani (1879-1904), an Italian Capuchin who had been on the mission in England and Wales. In Australia, as in Great Britain and Italy, Dr. Torreggiani always wore the habit of his order. His first visitation of his straggling and difficult diocese occupied three years. The coast district was, in 1887, erected into the Diocese of Grafton (now known as the Diocese of Lismore). A portion of the Maitland diocese was at the same time added to that of Armidale. Dr. Torreggiani died, 28 January, 1904. He was succeeded by the Right Rev. Patrick Joseph O'Connor, who had been his coadjutor from 3 May, 1903.Statistics (towards the close of 1905)Parochial districts, 15; churches, 52; secular priests, 22; regulars, 2; nuns, 144; secular teachers, 4; boarding schools for girls, 4; primary schools, 19; children in Catholic schools, 2,510; Catholic population, 25,540.LEVEY, Hutchinson's Australasian Encyclopedia (London, 1892); MORAN, History of Catholic Church in Australasia (Sydney, undated); Australasian Catholic Directory (Sydney, 1906).HENRY W. CLEARYTranscribed by John Fobian In memory of Sandra Fielding
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.
Look at other dictionaries:
Armidale — Staat … Deutsch Wikipedia
Armidale — (spr. ārmidēl), Stadt im britisch austral. Staat Neusüdwales, an der Nordbahn, Sitz eines katholischen Bischofs, mit anglikanischer und kath. Kathedrale, Stadthaus, Bibliothek, Antimon und Goldgruben und (1900) 4000 Einw … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Armidale — [ ɑːmɪdeɪl], Stadt im Bundesstaat New South Wales, Australien, nördlich von Sydney auf der westlichen Abdachung der Great Dividing Range, 21 600 Einwohner; anglikanischer und katholischer Bischofssitz; University (University of New England), … … Universal-Lexikon
Armidale — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Armadale. Armidale La ville d Armidale … Wikipédia en Français
Armidale — /ˈamədeɪl/ (say ahmuhdayl) noun a city in the New England district of NSW; wool studs; university, 1954. In 1839 Scottish born commissioner for Crown lands, GJ Macdonald, set up his head station in the Armidale area, traditionally inhabited by… … Australian English dictionary
Armidale — Original name in latin Armidale Name in other language ARM, Armidale, Armidejl, a mi dai er, armdal, armideili, Армидейл, Армідейл State code AU Continent/City Australia/Sydney longitude 30.50828 latitude 151.67123 altitude 983 Population 22673… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Armidale — ▪ New South Wales, Australia city, northeastern New South Wales, Australia. It lies on the valley slopes of Dumaresq Creek in the New England Range. Founded in 1839 by G.J. Macdonald, commissioner of crown lands, and named for his father s… … Universalium
Armidale Dumaresq Council — Lage von Armidale Dumaresq in New South Wales Gliederung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Armidale Regency Motel — (Armidale,Австралия) Категория отеля: 3,5 звезд Адрес: 208 Dangar Street, 235 … Каталог отелей
Armidale Tourist Park — (Armidale,Австралия) Категория отеля: 4 звездочный отель Адрес: 39 Waterfall W … Каталог отелей