Philippi
Philippi
Macedonian town on the borders of Thracia
Titular metropolitan see in Macedonia.

Catholic Encyclopedia. . 2006.

Philippi
     Philippi
     Catholic_Encyclopedia Philippi
    (Gr. Phílippoi, Lat. Philippi).
    Philippi was a Macedonian town, on the borders of Thracia. Situated on the summit of a hill, it dominated a large and fertile plain, intersected by the Egnatian Way. It was north-west of Mount Pangea, near the River Gangites, and the Ægean Sea. In 358 B. C. it was taken, enlarged, and fortified by the King of Macedonia, Philip II, hence its name Philippi. Octavius Augustus (42 B. C.) conferred on it his jus Italicum (Acts, xiv, 12), which made the town a miniature Rome, and granted it the institutions and privileges of the citizens of Rome. That is why we find at Philippi, along with a remnant of the Macedonians, Roman colonists together with some Jews, the latter, however, so few that they had no synagogue, but only a place of prayer (proseuché). Philippi was the first European town in which St. Paul preached the Faith. He arrived there with Silas, Timothy, and Luke about the end of 52 A. D., on the occasion of his second Apostolic voyage. The Acts mention in particular a woman called Lydia of Thyatira, a seller of purple, in whose house St. Paul probably dwelt during his stay at Philippi. His labours were rewarded by many conversions (Acts, xvi), the most important taking place among women of rank, who seem to have retained their influence for a long time. The Epistle to the Philippians deals in a special manner with a dispute that arose between two of them, Evodia and Syntyche (iv, 2). In a disturbance of the populace, Paul and Silas were beaten with rods and cast into prison, from which being miraculously delivered, they set out for Thessalonica. Luke, however, continued to work for five years.
    The Philippians remained very attached and grateful to their Apostle and on several occasions sent him pecuniary aid (twice to Thessalonica, Phil., iv, 14-16; once to Corinth, II Cor., xi, 8-9; and once to Rome, Phil., iv, 10-18). See EPISTLE TO THE PHILIPPIANS). Paul returned there later; he visited them on his second journey, about 58, after leaving Ephesus (Acts, xx, 1-2). It is believed that he wrote his Second Epistle to the Corinthinas at Philippi, whither he returned on his way back to Jerusalem, passing Easter week there (Acts, xx, 5-6). He always kept in close communication with the inhabitants. Having been arrested at Cæsarea and brought to Rome, he wrote to them the Epistle we have in the New Testament, in which he dwells at great length on his predilection for them (i, 3, 7; iv, 1; etc.). Paul probably wrote them more letters than we possess; Polycarp, in his epistle to the Philippians (II, 1 sq.), seems to allude to several letters (though the Greek word, ’epistolaí, is used also in speaking of a single letter), and Paul himself (Phil., iii, 1) seems to refer to previous writings. He hoped (i, 26; ii, 24) to revisit Philippi after his captivity, and he may have written there his First Epistle to Timothy (Tim., i, 3). Little is known of the subsequent history of the town. Later it was destroyed by the Turks; to-day nothing remains but some ruins.
    For bibliography see EPISTLE TO THE PHILIPPIANS.
    A. VANDER HERREN
    Transcribed by WGKofron With thanks to St. Mary's Church, Akron, Ohio
    
     Philippi
     Catholic_Encyclopedia Philippi
    A titular metropolitan see in Macedonia. As early as the sixth century B. C. we learn of a region called Datos, overrun by the inhabitants of Thasos, in which there was an outlying post called Crenides (the little springs), and a seaport, Neapolis or Cavala. About 460 B. C. Crenides and the country lying inland fell into the hands of the Thracians, who doubtless were its original inhabitants. In 360 B. C. the Thasians, aided by Callistratus the Athenian and other exiles, re-established the town of Datos, just when the discovery of auriferous deposits was exciting the neighbouring peoples. Philip of Macedonia took possession of it, and gave it his name, Philippi in the plural, as there were different sections of the town scattered at the foot of Mount Pangæus. He erected there a fortress barring the road between the Pangæus and the Hæmus. The gold mines, called Asyla, which were energetically worked, gave Philip an annual revenue of more than 1000 talents. In 168 B. C. the Romans captured the place. In the autumn of 42 B. C. the celebrated battle between the triumvirs and Brutus and Cassius was fought on the neighbouring marshy plain. In the first conflict Brutus triumphed over Octavius, whilst Antony repulsed Cassius, who committed suicide. Unable to maintain discipline in his army, and defeated twenty days later, Brutus also took his life. The same year a Roman colony was established there, which after the battle of Actium took the name of Colonia Augusta Julia Philippensis. When St. Ignatius of Antioch and the martyrs Zosimus and Rufus were passing through Philippi, St. Ignatius told the Christians of that town to send a letter of congratulation to the faithful of Antioch. They therefore wrote to Polycarp of Smyrna, asking him at the same time for the writings of St. Ignatius. Polycarp answered them in a letter, still extant, which was written before the death of St. Ignatius.
    Although the Church of Philippi was of Apostolic origin, it was never very important; it was a suffragan bishopric of Thessalonica. Towards the end of the ninth century it ranked as a metropolitan see and had six suffragan dioceses; in the fifteenth century it had only one, the See of Eleutheropolis. The Archdiocese of Cavala was reunited to the metropolis in December, 1616. In 1619, after a violent dispute with the Metropolitan of Drama, Clement, the titular of Philippi, got permission to assume the title of Drama also, and this was retained by the Metropolitan of Philippi until after 1721, when it was suppressed and the metropolis of Drama alone continued. In the "Echos d'Orient", III, 262-72, the writer of this article compiled a critical list of the Greek titulars of Philippi, containing sixty-two names, whereas only eighteen are given in Le Quien, "Oriens christianus", II, 67-70. Some Latin titulars are cited in Eubel, "Hierarchia catholica medii ævi", I, 418; II, 238; III, 291; Le Quien, op. cit., III, 1045. In the middle of the fourteenth century, Philippi is mentioned in connexion with the wars between John V, Palæologus, and Cantacuzenus, who has left a description of it (P. G., CLIV, 336). The ruins of Philippi lie near the deserted hamlet of Filibedjik, fifteen kilometres from Cavala, in the vilayet of Salonica; they contain the remains of the acropolis, a theatre anterior to the Roman occupations, a temple of Sylvanus, and numerous sculptured rocks bearing inscriptions.
    LEAKE, Northern Greece, III, 215-23; SMITH, Dict, of Gr. and Rom. Geog., s. v.; SEGNITZ, De Philippensibus tanquam luminaria in mundo (Leipzig, 1728); HOOG, De cœtus christianorum Philippensis conditione prima (Leyden, 1823); HEUZEY, Mission archéologique de Macédoine (Paris, 1876), 1-124; MERTZIDÈS, Philippes (Constantinople, 1897), in Greek; TOMASCHEK, Zur Kunde der Hœmus-Halbinsel (Vienna, 1897), 77; FILLION in Dict. de la Bible. s. v.
    S. VAILHÉ.
    Transcribed by Douglas J. Potter Dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. . 1910.


Catholic encyclopedia.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Philippi — (in Greek polytonic|Φίλιπποι/ Philippoi ) was a city in eastern Macedonia, in northern ancient Greece, founded by Philip II in 356 BC and abandoned in the 14th century after the Ottoman conquest. The present municipality Filippoi is located near… …   Wikipedia

  • Philippi — Philippi, WV U.S. city in West Virginia Population (2000): 2870 Housing Units (2000): 1260 Land area (2000): 2.839888 sq. miles (7.355276 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.095972 sq. miles (0.248567 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.935860 sq. miles… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Philippi — Philippi, alte Stadt in Mazedonien, berühmt durch den Sieg, den Antonius und Octavianus 42 v. Chr. über Cassius und Brutus erfochten. Paulus stiftete zu P. eine christl. Gemeinde (s. Philipperbrief) …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Philippi — (jetzt das Dorf Filiba), alte Stadt in Macedonien, von Philipp II. wegen der nahen Goldbergwerke erweitert; dabei die Wahlstatt, auf der 42 v. Chr. Brutus und Cassius gegen die Triumvirn unterlagen. P. hatte sehr frühe eine christliche Gemeinde,… …   Herders Conversations-Lexikon

  • Philippi — [fi lip′ī΄] ancient city in Macedonia, where, in 42 B.C., Mark Antony & Octavius defeated Brutus & Cassius: site of Paul s first preaching of the Gospel in Europe (Acts 16:12) Philippian adj., n …   English World dictionary

  • Philippi — Stadtzentrum Lage Philippis …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Philippi — Philippian /fi lip ee euhn/, adj., n. /fi lip uy, fil euh puy /, n. a ruined city in NE Greece, in Macedonia: Octavian and Mark Antony defeated Brutus and Cassius here, 42 B.C.; the site of one of the first Christian churches in Europe, founded… …   Universalium

  • PHILIPPI — I. PHILIPPI adhuc vulgo, Filippo, colonia et urbs Macedoniae archiepiscopalis, condita, an in staverata a Philippo Rege in Thraciae confinio apud montis Pangaei readiccs. olim Crenides, teste Diodor. Siculô apud oram maris Aegaei, olim clara,… …   Hofmann J. Lexicon universale

  • Philippi — Bei Philippi sehen wir uns wieder droht man und meint damit, daß man sich bei geeigneter Gelegenheit für etwas an jemandem rächen will. Philippi ist eine antike Stadt in Makedonien. Im Jahre 42 v. Chr. besiegten dort Oktavian und Antonius Caesars …   Das Wörterbuch der Idiome

  • Philippi — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Philippi, ville siège du comté de Barbour, situé en Virginie Occidentale, aux États Unis. Rodolfo Armando Philippi (1808 1904), naturaliste chilien… …   Wikipédia en Français

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”