- Germanicopolis• A titular see in the province of Isauria, suffragan of Seleucia
Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006.
- GermanicopolisGermanicopolis† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► GermanicopolisA titular see in the province of Isauria, suffragan of Seleucia. The city took its name from Germanicus, grandson of Augustus. Four of its bishops are known during the Byzantine government: Tyrannus, 451; Eustathius, 797; Basil, 878 (Le Quien, Or. christ., II, 1027); and Bisulas in the sixth century (Brooks, Sixth Book of the Letters of Severus, 13, 26, 80). The crusaders sustained a great defeat near the city in 1098. It then passed into the power of the Armenian dynasty of the Rupenians, who called it Germanig, whence is derived the present name of Ermenek. The Turks took possession of it in 1228. It is situated at a height of 1362 feet, in a caza of the vilayet of Adana, and numbers 6500 inhabitants. The ruins of many Roman monuments and a stronghold are still to be seen on the mountain.CUINET, La Turquie d'Asie, II, 77; ALISHAN, Sissouan, 338-340.S. VAILHÉTranscribed by John Fobian In memory of Donald R. Thomas
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.