- MonopoliMonopoli† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► Monopoli(MONOPOLITANA).A diocese in the Province of Bari, in Apulia, southern Italy. The city has a small but good harbour on the Adriatic. It succeeded the ancient Egnatia, the ruins of which are not far from the modern town. In the eighth and ninth centuries, Monopoli was often ravaged by the Saracens. After the advent of the Norman counts, it became (1042) the seat of Hugues. During the war between France and Spain for the possession of the Kingdom of Naples Monopoli was taken twice by the Venetians (1495 and 1528), and on the second occasion was sacked. In 1552 Charles V surrounded the town with walls and towers that still exist. The episcopal see was created in 1062, and its first prelate was Deodatus. The cathedral was erected by the second bishop, Romualdus, in 1073. In 1118 Polignano, a small town situated on a high promontory along the Adriatic, was united to this diocese. The diocese is immediately subject to the Holy See; it has eight parishes, 65,000 inhabitants, and three educational institutes for girls.CAPPELLETTI, Le Chiese d'Italia, XXI (Venice, 1887).U. BENIGNITranscribed by Michael T. Barrett
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.