- Diocese of Calabozo
- Diocese of CalabozoDiocese of Calabozo† Catholic_Encyclopedia ► Diocese of Calabozo(Calaboso)Calabozo is a town in the State of Miranda, Venezuela, on the River Guárico, 120 miles south-southwest of Caracas. Originally an Indian village, it was founded as a town in 1730 by the Compania Guipuzcoana. The city is situated on low ground, and in the rainy season the surrounding lands are inundated. In its vicinity are thermal springs. It is well built, has a college and public schools, and enjoys a considerable trade. The principal occupation of its inhabitants is cattle-raising. The Diocese of Calabozo was created 7 March, 1863, by Pius IX, and its first bishop was consecrated 30 October, 1881. It embraces the section of Guárico and portions of the sections of Apure, Zamora, Portuguesa, Cojedes, and Guzman Blanco. It has 310,000 Catholics, 38 priests, and 70 churches and chapels at the time of this writing. Calabozo is a suffragan of Caracas (Santiago de Venezuela)BATTANDIER, Ann. pont. cath. (Paris, 1908); HERDER, Konversations-Lex. (St. Louis, 1903), s. v.; WERNER, Orbis Terrarum Catholicus (Frerburg, 1890); STREIT, Katholischer Missionsatlas (Steyl, 1906).LEO A. KELLYTranscribed by Matthew Reak
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VIII. — New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat. 1910.